Storage units are great for freeing up space in the home, whether you live in an apartment or a million dollar mansion. Being able to get rid of the clutter means having more space to breathe and move around at home. When you need to access something, you simply go to your storage unit. If you need to store something else away, the storage unit is a safe and secure place to put it. How you store it is important, though.
Here are some tips that will allow you to make the most of your storage unit. If you need to move to a larger size in the future, these tips will also make that move much easier for you:
- Use pallets where necessary because pallets will keep items off of the floor. For storage that is outdoors, you never know when a little water will come under the door although units are built to drain water away from them. Even when your unit is inside, anything can happen outside of the door, such as a spill or something could spill in the neighboring unit.
- Wrap everything that you can in industrial plastic wrap to ward off dust.
- Label your boxes and containers so that you do not have to search through boxes, drawers, and containers to find what you need. Having to dig for items can make it difficult to put everything back exactly the way you had it and searching is also time consuming.
- When storing items away, be creative with how you use the space. For instance, you can stretch a piece of plywood across several boxes to create layers. Layers will make the stack sturdier so that you can place more boxes in the stack. You also want to utilize any flat surfaces, such as tables. You can store items on top of and underneath a table.
- Visit your storage unit at least every six months to see which items you can get rid of. To make this even easier, keep an inventory of what goes in and out. Getting rid of items you don’t need, frees up space for needed items that must go into storage.
- Prepare for temperature changes. Minnesota is very cold in the winters and hot in the summers. When renting an outdoor unit, it is good to remove the few things that don’t like the heat or the cold. If insulating items is all that needs to be done, insulating with blankets can help.
When utilizing these tips, you can make your storage unit a fully functional space for your belongings. Furthermore, being able to make full use of your space means you are making a good investment for you and for your belongings.